« Back to News
Oct 16, 2020
Chambers of Commerce in the Okanagan Set to Celebrate Small Business Week
October 16, 2020
CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE IN THE OKANAGAN SET TO CELEBRATE
SMALL BUSINESS WEEK
Chambers of Commerce throughout the Okanagan have joined forces in celebrating Small Business Week in Canada with a host of events, webinars, messages, and support for small business October 19-23.
One of the highlights of the week will be a round table discussion with the President and CEO of BDC, Michael Denham. He will join business leaders in an online discussion on the state of small business in Canada on Wednesday Oct. 21. Many Chambers in the Valley have also joined with Community Futures to provide useful webinars aimed at helping small businesses grow their skills.
As part of Small Business Week, the Chamber COVID Response Coalition (#OKWeGotThis) is kicking things off with the launch of a video that celebrates our resiliency despite the pandemic and encourages everyone to show local businesses some love.
To view click this link: https://www.okanaganwegotthis.com/love-local/)
“As one of the founding members of the “Okanagan We Got This” chamber coalition, we are pleased to ramp up our promotion of local businesses and celebrate Small Business Week,” says Dan Rogers, Executive Director of the Kelowna Chamber. “The message behind our OK We Got This video is that if we stay as positive as we can, be as kind as we can, and show local some love – together, we will get through this,” says Rogers.
The concept behind the Chamber COVID response coalition was based on both the need for, and the realization that, we are in this together; and collaboration, innovation and cooperation will see us through to better days. Chambers throughout the valley are encouraging those in the region to support local and have brought local businesses together to showcase their resilience during this time, and help to spread the rallying cry, OK We Got This!
OTHER SMALL BUSINESS WEEK ACTIVITIES IN THE OKANAGAN
- In partnership with Community Futures – Valleywide Small Business Week showcases webinars aimed at helping Small Businesses in the Okanagan. To find out more check out: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/small-business-week-tickets-124192889275
- October 20 Small Business Financials sponsored by BDO
- October 21 Marketing and Cyber Security sponsored by VantageOne Credit Union
- October 22 HR and Workplace Culture
- On Tuesday Oct 20, the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce hosts three all-candidate forums for the three Kelowna Ridings in upcoming provincial election. All forums are in person for candidates, moderators and media, and online for attendees.
3pm-4:30pm Kelowna-Lake Country
- On Wednesday Oct. 21 at 12:00 Noon, the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce hosts Michael Denham, President and CEO of the BDC in a special event, Forging The Way Forward: How Entrepreneurs Are Adapting to the Pandemic. BDC began Small Business Week some years ago, and the Chamber is pleased that Mr. Denham will be available to both update attendees on the current business climate, and also answer questions from online attendees and local entrepreneurs. The link to register is: https://bit.ly/34sGiUV
- On Wednesday Oct. 21 from 10am – 8pm, the Penticton Chamber of Commerce is celebrating Small Business Week with a Chamber Cash Mob. The Chamber will be hosting the event in-person and online, visiting three stores, over ten hours, in a hybrid-mob format. More information on the event can be found here: https://bit.ly/353HwWV
- On Friday Oct. 23 from 6-8pm, the Vernon Chamber of Commerce hosts the 2020 Business Excellence Awards, Presented by Valley First, a division of First West Credit Union. Headlining the virtual celebration are guest speakers Jillian Harris, founder and creative director of Jillian Harris Design, former Bachelorette and co-host of Love It Or List It Vancouver; and Ken Holland, Vernon native and general manager of the Edmonton Oilers. And Vernon's Andrew Allen will take to the stage and perform. The event MC's are Sun FM's very own Betty Selin and Jerhett Schafer! But all of the excitement will be focused on the unveiling of the winners in 10 distinct categories. Those in attendance will also learn the winners of the People's Choice Award and the Business of the Year honour. The link to register for this event is: https://bit.ly/3dvcZoS
- Throughout Small Business Week, the Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce will be checking in with their members from Monday to Friday during a Business Walk. On Saturday October 24th from 10am – 12:00 Noon they will be hosting a drop in event, ‘Coffee with the Chair’ at the Wild Oak Café on Pleasant Valley Blvd. for members to stop in and have a chat with their President and Vice President.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Dan Rogers, Executive Director
OK We Got This Video
LEARN MORE at www.OKanaganwegotthis.com